Fresh Rainbow Quinoa Salad
I love when people share recipes with me – It’s like the recipes have already been vouched for! Recently, one of Jon’s co-workers sent us a quinoa salad recipe that sounded so delicious and so healthy (Thanks Michelle!). This weekend Jon and I took the recipe and got a little creative with it.
Let me be the first to admit that before this recipe, I thought I didn’t like quinoa (based on my first and only experience). However, after constantly reading and hearing about all of quinoa’s nutritional benefits (gluten-free, high in protein, fiber, magnesium, and iron), Jon and I knew we had to incorporate it into our meals.
With that being said, I absolutely love the quinoa in this dish! The combination of so many fresh veggies made it super flavorful and gave it the feel of a light but still satisfying side dish. That’s another thing I love about this recipe – It can easily be eaten as a side dish or as a main entrée since it has so many different goodies in it. In addition, this recipe makes a large batch so once it’s made, you can eat it for lunch all week!
Let’s get started by cooking 1 cup of quinoa and placing it in the fridge to cool.
Next, cube 2 cups (3 small) red potatoes and place them in a pot of boiling water. Once they’re cooked through, drain and place them in the fridge to chill as well.
That’s about all the cooking we’ll be doing for this dish. From here, we’re going to do a lot of chopping, dicing, and slicing so get that chef’s knife sharpened :). I chopped the basil, thinly sliced the green onions, diced the red onion and avocado, and quartered the cherry tomatoes. Look at all of these fresh and healthy ingredients:
Next, find a large bowl and add the chilled quinoa, red potatoes, canned corn, and everything from the cutting board (I warned you it makes a lot!). Use a big serving spoon to combine everything together then squeeze your lemon over the bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon into serving dishes, garnish, and enjoy!
Fresh Rainbow Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup rainbow (tri-colored) quinoa
- 2 cups (3 small) red potatoes
- 1 can shoe-peg corn
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced and strained of seeds
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
What to Do
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and place in the fridge to cool.
- Cube red potatoes and place in boiling water. Once cooked, drain and place in fridge as well.
- When cool to the touch, place quinoa and red potatoes in a large bowl. Add corn, basil, green and red onions, cherry tomatoes, and avocado.
- Use a large serving spoon to combine all ingredients.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and vinegar and sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Stir the bowl once more and spoon into serving dishes.