Baked Breakfast Casserole
We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day but how often do we really get to enjoy it? During the week, I have a Chobani greek yogurt and a side of fruit every morning. While that’s delicious, nutritious, and filling, you can’t beat a hearty, warm, lazy breakfast on the weekend. You know what’s even better? Sharing that delicious breakfast with a cup of coffee and some friends.
This past weekend, Jon and I had a good friend stay at our apartment and decided to give him the bed and breakfast experience. I found an easy egg casserole recipe and added some fresh veggies to call it a meal. Not only did it turn out unbelievably satisfying but it was also so simple to put together and throw in the oven AND we have leftovers for breakfast this week (one less greek yogurt for me :)). Did I mention there’s a crescent roll on the bottom? You don’t even need to prepare a side of toast with this meal!
Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees. Then, spray a 13 x 9″ cake pan with canola oil and unroll your crescent roll dough and lay on the bottom of the pan. Pillsbury sells a great seamless crescent roll dough that comes in one sheet instead of individual rolls. If you can’t find it, you can use the individual rolls but make sure you press the edges together in the bottom of the cake pan to seal the bottom layer.
Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and crumble and brown your sausage. (I used Bob Evan’s zesty sausage roll – If you don’t like spicy foods, I would stick with the original sausage because the zesty definitely has some heat.)
While the sausage is browning, sprinkle your shredded cheese on top of the crescent rolls and add any other preferred veggies. I layered sliced mushrooms, broccoli florets, and diced red onion. Once the sausage is browned, layer it on as well.
Next, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together in a separate bowl and slowly pour into the cake pan. (To cut down on cholesterol, I used a mixture of 4 whole eggs and 2 egg whites).
Pop that delicious looking casserole into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes (until the eggs are set). Your end result will have a tantalizing smell! Make sure to let it set for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Makes you want to have a lazy weekend morning, doesn’t it? 😉
Baked Breakfast Casserole
- 1 8oz can refrigerated crescent dough (preferably seamless)
- 1lb sausage roll
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups assorted chopped veggies (ex: sliced mushrooms, broccoli or cauliflower florets, spinach, onion, peppers, peas)
- 4 eggs & 2 egg whites
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F) and spray a 13 x 9″ cake pan with canola oil.
- Unroll seamless crescent roll dough and lay on the bottom of the pan (If using crescent rolls, make sure to press seams together to seal the bottom layer).
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and crumble and brown sausage.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the crescent rolls and add any other preferred veggies.
- Once sausage is browned, add to pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together in a separate bowl and slowly pour into the pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (until the eggs are set).
- Let casserole stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving warm.