Citrus Sugar Scrub
As much as I love wearing sandals/flip flops/open-toed shoes, doing so always results in my feet being dry. Maybe in your case your elbows are a little dry or you constantly need to moisturize your hands… Whatever your dry skin issue may be, this scrub is perfect for it! Not only does it exfoliate and moisturize, it looks and smells lively and invigorating.
You know how store-bought scrubs usually range from $5-$15? You can make this for MUCH less – You probably already have the ingredients at home and it’s so easy to change-up the scent. In this recipe, I used juice from both an orange and a lemon. If you prefer, you can use a lime, a grapefruit or any combination. Another alternative would be to replace the citrus juices/zest with essential oils – However, keep in mind that this will increase the cost of the scrub.
This scrub also makes for a cute little gift when packaged in a mason jar and tied with a pretty ribbon. If you use white sugar as your base, you can have a little fun with food coloring too!
Start by deciding whether you want to use granulated white sugar or granulated brown sugar (Brown sugar is less abrasive and better suited for those with sensitive skin). Next decide what kind of oil you want to use (Since I plan to use this on my hands and feet, I cheaply chose vegetable oil but if you want to use this on your face or want the olive oil smell, go for the more expensive extra virgin olive oil).
Combine the sugar and oil and slowly begin to add the juice from the lemon and orange. I say slowly because you don’t want the citrus scent to be overpowering. Also, if you add too much liquid, you may have to go back and add more sugar to get a consistency you like.
Once you’re satisfied with the texture, scent, and color, just scoop the mixture into your chosen packaging and you’re done! I like to leave a little jar by my bathtub and the kitchen sink – It helps remind me to soften my skin!
Citrus Sugar Scrub
You Will Need:
- 1 cup granulated sugar (white, brown, or a combo)
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola, olive, grapeseed, flaxseed, etc)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and strained of seeds
- 1/2 small orange, juiced and strained of seeds
- Optional: food coloring
What to Do
- Combine sugar and oil in a small bowl.
- Slowly add fresh lemon and orange juices. (If the consistency is too watery, slowly add more sugar until desired thickness)
- Optional: Add food coloring (I added 2 drops of yellow).
- Optional: Add lemon and orange zest and stir.
- Scoop mixture into desired container.