Tri Colored Corn & Bean Salsa
Whenever Jon and I are invited to a party, we make and bring cupcakes. However, within one week, we had three different events. Since we already committed to making cupcakes for two of them (Football Kick-Off Cupcakes and Margarita Cupcakes w/ Lime Buttercream Frosting), we knew we had to switch it up.
For our friend’s 1st Annual Clam Bake, we decided to make Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars along with this Tri-Colored Corn & Bean Salsa. Let me warn you of two things:
- This salsa is addicting!
- This recipe makes a lot! (Luckily, see #1 ;))
This is the perfect dish to pass if you think you can’t cook. There’s really no cooking involved – just a bunch of slicing and dicing.
First, rinse and drain your kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, and shoepeg corn until the liquid runs clear (I used to rinse each can individually until my super efficient boyfriend pointed out that we can rinse and drain all of the canned goods at once in a large strainer – so smart!).
Empty all cans into a large mixing bowl… Seriously, a large bowl. I used a 14 cup mixing bowl and it was almost full!
Now comes the slicing and dicing part. Chop the celery and slice the green onion. Add these veggies to your mixing bowl.
Next, combine your oil, vinegar, and sugar in a separate bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves (microwave for 15 sec if it’s not dissolving). Pour the liquid mixture over the corn and bean mixture – Combine thoroughly.
I told you this recipe made a lot! Look at all of those colors – beautiful, delicious, and healthy! Put the bowl in your refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight is best!) then serve as an appetizer or side dish.
Tri-Colored Corn & Bean Salsa
*Note: If you have the option, try to use low/reduced/no sodium canned goods.
- 1 (15.5oz) can of black beans
- 1 (15.5oz) can of kidney beans
- 1 (15.5oz) can of pinto beans
- 1 (11oz) can of white shoepeg corn
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar or splenda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to Do
- Rinse and drain your kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, and shoepeg corn until the liquid runs clear.
- Empty all cans into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the celery and slice the green onion. Add these veggies to your mixing bowl.
- Combine oil, vinegar, and sugar in a separate bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves (microwave for 15 sec if it’s not dissolving).
- Pour the liquid mixture over the corn and bean mixture – Combine thoroughly.
- Chill for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight) then stir and serve.