Margarita Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream Frosting
Themed birthday parties are such a fun idea! I love how everything, from decor to food to music, come together into one cohesive event.
Side note: If you want to see a great example, check out Alex at NorthofSeven. She hosted a spectacular rainbow themed birthday party for her daughter. How fun!
Anyways, recently there were a slew of birthdays at the office. Instead of celebrating each individually, there was a Mexican themed party for all of the birthday babies.
For our dish to pass, Jon and I decided to make margarita cupcakes with lime buttercream frosting. These are not your typical super sweet and heavy cupcakes. Due to the margarita mix and lime, they’ve got an unexpected sour note and turned out really light and fluffy. However, I did modify the recipe to exclude the tequila and triple sec. Not as fun, I know, but neither Jon nor I really drink tequila so it would’ve just sat around our apartment… and if you’ve read my cork board post, you know that we don’t need any more alcohol!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F) and line 2 cupcake/muffin pans with cupcake liners.
Tip: The double aluminum foil liners are just slightly more expensive than the single paper liners but I highly recommend them. They’re double lined (paper + foil) so they have more structure and they always seem to peel away from the cupcakes without sticking.
Start by mixing your vanilla cake mix with the egg whites, canola oil, and margarita mix. Fill your pans and bake for 20-25 minutes (until inserted toothpick comes out clean) then let cool completely.
While you’re waiting for your cupcakes to cool, prepare your frosting by creaming your butter and slowly adding the confectioner’s sugar and lime juice. We also added 2 drops of green food coloring to go along with the lime flavor.
Use a pastry bag with a fun tip or just frost with a butter knife. Perfect for a Mexican themed party, right? 🙂
Margarita CupcakesAdapted from Recipe Girl Servings: 24 frosted cupcakes Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Cool Time: 15 minutes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 and 3/4 cups of margarita mix
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and line 2 cupcake/muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Mix the vanilla cake mix with the egg whites, canola oil, and margarita mix.
- Fill your pans and bake for 20-25 minutes (until inserted toothpick comes out clean) then let cool completely.
Lime Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- Optional: green food coloring
What to Do
- With a hand mixer or a Kitchen Aid mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until smooth.
- Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar and lime juice.
- Optional: Add 2 drops of green food coloring.
- Frost cupcakes with a pastry bag or butter knife.