Buffalo Chicken Paninis
It’s football season… which inadvertently means that it’s also ‘buffalo’ season. No, I don’t mean buffalo as in the gigantic mammal but rather, buffalo flavored things such as buffalo chicken wings, buffalo chicken dip, buffalo chicken soup, etc. I even saw a recipe floating around Pinterest for buffalo style cauliflower (which I’ll probably end up trying!). Now you see why I associate football with buffalo.
Did I mention I also attended undergrad at the University at Buffalo and I live in upstate NY? Apparently Buffalo is ingrained in me in more ways than one! You can guess that I’ve enjoyed my fair share of buffalo flavored dishes over the years (both in and out of Buffalo!) so you can trust me when I vouch for these Buffalo Chicken Paninis. (Wow! How many times can I use the word ‘buffalo’ in this post?)
They really are so good and with just enough of a hot sauce kick to keep you warm during the chilly fall. I personally don’t like blue cheese so I left it out of the recipe but I know many people love it so if you’re one of those people, feel free to add 1/2 cup into the recipe!
This recipe is already super easy and if you want to make it even easier, you can use a store-bought precooked rotisserie chicken like I did. If you do, you can cut down on the prepping/cooking time.
In a medium sized bowl, add the cream cheese and try to spread it around a little so it’s not one block. This will help ensure you don’t get big clumps of cream cheese in your sandwich. Next, add the onion, celery, blue cheese, and cheddar cheese.
Shred your chicken with two forks or your fingers and add to the cream cheese mixture. Lastly, add the hot sauce and stir with a large wooden/plastic spoon to combine.
To make your sandwiches, simply spoon the filling onto a slice of bread and top with another slice.
Tip: Be careful not to spoon the filling too close to the edges since it will ooze out while cooking.
Toss your sandwiches on your grill/press and cook for about 3-4 minutes. If you’re using a skillet, cook over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side.
Mmm, look at those beautiful grill marks and that delicious filling!
Buffalo Chicken PaninisInspired by Closet Cooking Makes 4 sandwiches
- 2oz fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 (large) cup of shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Frank’s red hot sauce
- 8 slices of (lite) whole wheat bread
- Optional: 1-2 celery stalks, chopped
- Optional: 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
What to Do
- In a medium sized bowl, add the cream cheese and try to spread it around a little so it’s not one block. This will help ensure you don’t get big clumps of cream cheese in your sandwich.
- Next, add the onion, celery, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, and shredded chicken.
- Lastly, add the hot sauce and stir with a large wooden/plastic spoon to combine.
- Spoon the filling onto a slice of bread and top with another slice.
- Toss your sandwiches on a George Forman grill or a panini press and cook for about 3-4 minutes. If you’re using a skillet, cook over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side
- Let cool slightly and slice in half.
You May Also Like: