Southwestern Chicken, Corn & Bean Casserole
Super easy recipe coming your way…
If you can open cans and prepare rice, you’re going to love this recipe. It really is that simple – Your oven does all the heavy lifting on this one. However, I will admit that I thought this dish could use more spices/seasoning than the original recipe I followed but don’t worry, I’ve already made the modifications in the ingredient list below. Yes, that’s right, I’m your little taste testing elf in the kitchen ;).
Jon and I have recently begun buying our chicken in bulk and I really do mean BULK. Therefore, we’ve started cooking more than we plan on eating in one meal so we can shred it and use it in other dishes. This is one of those recipes that’s perfect for your leftover chicken!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F) and lightly grease a 13″ x 9″ cake pan.
Place your shredded chicken in a bowl and mix with your corn, beans, salsa, Greek yogurt, and spices (chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder).
Tip: If you don’t normally use these spices, it would probably be easier to just buy a taco seasoning packet. However, keep in mind that they’re usually pretty high in sodium so keep an eye out for low/no sodium added.
Add your precooked brown rice and mix well to combine. At this point your bowl is probably really full or possibly even overflowing. Time to dump everything into your cake pan.
Sprinkle a little shredded (taco) cheese on top and pop it in the oven for 20-25 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the edges are slightly browned and the cheese is bubbly.
Because of the rice, this casserole holds its shape pretty well and once it’s cool, can be cut into individual square servings. If you’re like me and you’re only cooking for two, you’ll have some leftover lunches! You can also prepare this dish ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge overnight – Perfect if you need to bring a dish to pass to a party!
Mexican Chicken, Corn & Bean Casserole
Inspired by Tasty Kitchen
- 1.5 cups chicken, cooked & shredded
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 15oz can of canned corn, rinsed & drained
- 15oz can of black beans (no/low/reduced sodium), rinsed & drained
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or taco cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder + 1 teaspoon onion powder + 1 teaspoon garlic powder OR 1 taco seasoning packet
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and lightly grease a 13″ x 9″ cake pan.
- Place shredded chicken in a bowl and mix with corn, beans, salsa, Greek yogurt, and spices (chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder OR taco seasoning).
- Add the precooked brown rice and mix well to combine.
- Pour everything into the cake pan and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are browned and cheese is bubbly.
You May Also Like: