[Paleo] Mini Banana Pumpkin Muffins
I&I Update: Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a free 32oz jar (quart) of coconut oil from Tropical Traditions! Click here to find out how to enter. [GIVEAWAY CLOSED]
Paleo Update: So I think we may have been a little ambitious. In theory, sticking to an 80% Paleo lifestyle seemed do-able after going 100% for 31 days. In reality, not so easy. I’d estimate that Jon and I are living a 50% Paleo-friendly lifestyle:
- Breakfasts and lunches are the easiest for us to keep Paleo. We usually just eat leftovers from dinner or eggs and veggies. If we’re in a hurry, we’ve been grabbing an AMRAP Refuel bar to eat on the go. I won a free box of these from Megan at Food and Fitness – Thanks, Megan!
- Dinners are usually pretty good as well. That is, as long as we eat at home.
- Our downfall comes in two forms: desserts and eating out. This was poor planning on my part but I decided to take the Course I Wilton Cake Decorating Class at my local Michael’s during the month of February. Each week we have to make either a cake or cupcakes and 3+ cups of frosting. It’s impossible not to eat this for dessert every night!
- Besides our excess desserts, we feel like we’ve been eating out a lot more but in reality we’re eating out about 3 meals a week (0 to 3 feels like a huge change!). When you think about it, 3 of 21 meals isn’t that bad. Our problem is how many calories we consume on the days we eat out – usually double our goal!
- Overall, we have to keep reminding ourselves that this is a lifestyle. We can’t expect to make all of these huge changes in 1-2 months. We’ve definitely made progress and now we need to reinforce the good habits/choices we’ve started and continue to slowly incorporate more Paleo-friendly choices as we creep towards our 80% goal.
Does anyone else have snack cravings at 10:30AM and 3:30PM every day? Mine are pretty much like clockwork so I always need to have snacks on hand at work. Lately, I’ve been sticking to red grapes or almonds but I needed to switch it up.
Enter banana pumpkin mini muffins! These are a guilt-free and satisfying little treat (I mean, snack) – Each one is roughly 50 calories! Since they’re Paleo-friendly, you know that means they don’t have any refined sugar and they’re gluten-free. Just like with my Paleo Banana Bread, the ripe banana lends a subtle sweetness and leaves the muffins nice and moist. The pumpkin puree takes it a step further and adds a little extra flavor boost.
Tip: Since this recipe doesn’t use very much pumpkin puree and I didn’t want to waste the rest, I made these muffins the same day I made my pumpkin bread bars. Waste not, want not. 🙂
Oh yeah – Another perk of these cute little muffins? The batter can be made in a blender. That’s right – no need to dirty your mixer!
What are you waiting for? These healthy little cuties are calling your name. I recommend drizzling them with a little honey or spreading a little homemade Nutella on top for an extra indulgence. 😉
[Paleo] Banana Pumpkin Mini Muffins
Inspired by You Hunt. I Gather.
Makes 12 mini muffins
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ripe (or overly ripe) banana
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey (more if you like your muffins sweeter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Line a muffin pan with liners or lightly grease with olive oil.
- Add pumpkin puree, banana, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and honey in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides if necessary.
- Add salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and coconut to the blender. Blend on high for another 20-30 seconds. Scrape down sides if necessary. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Drizzle with honey or Paleo-friendly Nutella.
You May Also Like:
- Paleo Banana Bread
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread Bars
- Paleo Chili Lime Sweet Potato Fries
- Paleo Sausage & Sweet Potato Frittata